Here are 10 helpful tips to get your home ready for winter.
- Check your HVAC system and schedule a maintenance appointment. Make sure your air filter(s) have been cleaned and/or replaced.
- If you have wood trim or a wood deck make sure that it is treated & protected.
- Do you have a concrete patio? If so, please make the necessary mason re-repairs.
- Check your rain gutter downspouts. Any clogging and/or pooling water, you may want to add an extender piece so that the water pulls away from the home.
- Clean your gutters. Any sort of pile up of debris may cause problems during the winter months.
- If you have a chimney, have it cleaned and inspected before using your fireplace. Store your wood in a dry area.
- October is Fire Prevention Month. Test all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. If you have an alarm system, and it is hooked into your alarm system, ask your alarm company to run a test to make sure it is in working order. Each bedroom should have a smoke and carbon monoxide detector as well as on each floor.
- Turn off all outdoor water spouts. If you have a sprinkler system, make sure it’s winterized.
- Check your trees to confirm they are healthy. If you are unsure if a tree is healthy, call out a licensed arborist. Trim back limbs away from the house specially the roof. During winter storms falling trees and heavy limbs can cause power outages to your property and to your neighbors’ property.
- Bring in or cover outdoor patio furniture. If you have a glass top table, you may want to bring it in and not take a chance of leaving it out all winter.
- Check the air quality of the house for air pollutants, dust mites, mold etc. Consult with an expert about an air purification system.
Silversons Realty is here to assist you. If you are thinking about selling your home or buying a new home, give our office a call 914-725-9344 or email us email@example.com.